Cancer rehabilitation is an important part of your cancer care. Cancer rehab includes: physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy. Cancer rehab may be recommended as an outpatient, prior to treatment, in order to provide education and develop your strength program. Therapy is also an important part of any inpatient hospital stay. Post-cancer treatment, as an outpatient, rehab is used to facilitate your return to your prior level of function.
Our Infirmary Cancer Care therapists specialize in cancer therapies designed to decrease the development and improve the management of long-term side effects associated with cancer treatment. Infirmary Cancer Care offers the only cancer rehabilitation program in the region. For more information, call 251-435-CARE(2273).
How can cancer rehab help me?
- Are you lacking joint range of motion or having pain that may or may not be accompanied by swelling since cancer surgery?
- Do you notice weakness in your affected limbs?
- Do you have achiness/heaviness or fatigue in your arms, legs or side as your activity levels increase?
- Are you having trouble getting your energy back after cancer treatments?
- Are you unsure of how much to safely exercise during or after your cancer treatments?
- Are you unsteady or dizzy with a fear of falling or experiencing numbness or tingling in your feet or hands since chemo treatments?
- Are you experiencing chemo brain symptoms such as difficulty finding words or slowed mental processing?
What is the goal of cancer rehab?
At Infirmary Cancer Care our goal is to treat the entire patient and we strive to achieve the highest quality of life for our patients as soon as possible. As a result, we have the only cancer rehabilitation program in the region.
When do I need to see a member of the rehab team?
As your cancer rehab team, we prefer to see you as early as possible in your cancer journey to establish a personal baseline. At your initial assessment, we will determine if you can benefit from rehab prior to your cancer treatment. Our cancer rehab team is trained to work with patients at any phase of their treatment so it is never too late to start your rehabilitation.
Who do I contact for more information about cancer rehabilitaion?
Karen Smith Colicchio, M.S., P.T.
Director Therapy Services